Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Iron balls take 1

So I'm a non red meat (or pig or emu or crocodile) eating, breastfeeding Mumma. I've always had issues with my iron. I can generally keep my iron stable and need to take tablets at times of stress, big workloads or pregnant/breastfeeding.

Anyway, I was looking for iron boosting snacks.

***** Please note, if you suspect low iron, consult your doctor before attempting to treat it.
****** Please note, this is not medical advice, this is a recipe for getting more iron into MY diet. Which I am sharing for others to try as a snack.
******* Chickpeas can cause excess wind in some people, so use caution if breastfeeding. ... or going on a road trip in a full car.

Google gave me some ideas on what to eat - 100grams of chickpeas 6.2mg... YUM chickpeas.. right? !?

So I decided to make chickpea balls with some other iron containing foods

So here is my recipe for.
iron balls take 1

200 grams chickpeas (tinned, rinsed very very well) 12.4mg iron
50 g dried dates 0.5mg iron
15 g cacao 2.2mg iron
Honey
Blitzed up oats

Blend the dates and chickpeas until all combined and sticking together
Mix in honey to your taste.
I found it a little too moist so added some blitzed up oats (diy quick oats )
Roll into balls. I made 10 biggish balls, so roughly 1.5mg iron per ball.

I have a sweet tooth so I dipped my balls into melted chocolate and refrigerated. You could try rolling in coconut or chocolate sprinkles.
Store in fridge

A few things I will do different next time
1 use apricots instead of dates (slightly higher iron)
2 refrigerate the mix for 30-60 minutes before rolling/ dipping as they became very sticky towards the end  (could also be the brisbane heat ;))
3 I may add peanut butter.

You could also add any protein/superfood/nutrient powders you take.

This was the first time I have worked with cacao.... no one warned me how strong the flavour is!!

Miss Lumpy  enjoyed the bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment