Sunday, October 19, 2014

Flying and breastfeeding

As I had never done a long distance flight or any flight while breastfeeding, I researched and asked friends for advice on how things would go during the flight and with jet lag. -
I did struggle with jetlag on the flight over. I believe a combination of not sleeping on the 14 hour flight and breastfeeding extra demands on my body added to it! I was dizzy, nauseated, vomiting and absolutely exhausted. Fluids, rest, food and getting out in the air/sun helped reset my clock.

Here are my tips and advice
* Feed on demand, it can be unsettling for your little one and comfort feeding is ok. Yes it may throw out a routine, but flying/timezones/jetlag will also.

* Water, water, water. Drinking lots of fluid is great for supply and also helps your body recover from jet lag. Plenty of water on the plane and the day or so after.

* If possible try and get some sleep on the flight. It was not possible for me with a 12 week old and and 4 yr old on the 14 hour flight over. On the flight back I got a few hours sleep and I didn't have any jet lag symptoms.

* Relax! If he/she wants to comfort feed for the whole flight or large chunks of it, make sure you have a good book / some movies and relax.

* I had read many stories of supply drying up mid flight, so we had some formula sticks Just in case. Luckily (though I have no issue with using them if needed) they were not needed. So we also had to pack a bottle in carry on.

* Healthy foods in the days leading up to and after the flight to give your body the best fuel to keep going if you do suffer jetlag.

* Patience and time for your body and your baby to readjust. Limiting your sleep during the day (if you land in day light hours) and getting sun and fresh air to help your body clocks reset.

* Try and remember your tiny person is experiencing jetlag too. Yes I know i wanted to go to sleep, but 2.0 had other ideas and I did have to pass her to her dad so I could get a few hours sleep.

* Know that flying and jetlag don't have to have a negative impact on your supply, if you do notice a drop in supply keep up the on demand feeding, fluids and healthy food.


Edit * look up breastfeeding laws of where you are flying in to and each place you will visit!

Hope someone finds this helpful! Have and great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment